You are currently viewing Woman Tragically Found Dead in Car After Getting Stuck in Buffalo Snowstorm, Family Says

Woman Tragically Found Dead in Car After Getting Stuck in Buffalo Snowstorm, Family Says

woman with lots and a white coat

December 28, 2022 | Kali Girl

In a tragic turn of events, 22-year-old Anndel Taylor was found deceased over the holiday weekend in Buffalo, New York, after being trapped in her car by a paralyzing blizzard. Taylor had recently moved to Buffalo from Charlotte, North Carolina and was driving home from work at a senior citizen center, just six minutes away from her house, when she became stranded. Taylor’s family, who live in Charlotte, became worried when they lost touch with her and were later devastated to learn of her passing.

According to CNN, Taylor’s older sister, Tomeshia Brown, Taylor sent a video to a group chat with her sisters at around 3 p.m. on Friday, capturing the snow and whiteout conditions. In the video, Taylor told her sisters that she was stuck and the snow was continuing to fall. Taylor called 911 and was waiting for first responders at the time of her passing, according to Brown and Taylor’s mother, Wanda Brown Steele.

“Her plan was to wait until the police got there,” her sister said, but if that failed, she planned to “get up and walk once her car ran out of gas.”

In the early hours of Christmas Eve, Taylor sent a final video message to her group chat in which she revealed that she had planned to try to walk home once she woke up if help did not arrive. In the video, Taylor can be seen cracking open the driver’s side window of her car to reveal a road transformed into a snowy wasteland. A van stuck down the road can be seen flashing its hazard lights, and Taylor writes in the group chat that she estimates the snow would be up to her waist if she were to exit her vehicle.

On Christmas Eve, just after 9 a.m., Taylor’s family in North Carolina became worried when they couldn’t reach her. They sent her multiple messages and texts asking, ‘Are you OK?’ But Taylor didn’t respond, causing alarm for her loved ones.

The family informed Taylor’s relatives in Buffalo of her location, but upon arriving, they noticed Brown’s car but did not see her inside.

In a desperate effort to locate her missing daughter, Brown Steele turned to social media for help. On a private Facebook page called “Buffalo Blizzard 2022” she shared the address of the tracked phone, hoping for any leads. Tragically, that evening she received a heart-wrenching phone call from an unnamed man who had checked on her daughter’s pulse and found none. Brown shared, “He let us know he checked her pulse and there was no pulse.

Brown Steele said “I really didn’t believe it,” she said. “It was like a piercing feeling in my stomach, a pain I’ve never felt before.” 

On Monday, Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz announced that two-thirds of the equipment that had been deployed to assist with snow removal during the storm became stuck, leading to the agency’s inability to respond to emergency calls for the first time in its history due to the severity of the conditions. Despite restoring emergency response services on Tuesday, officials in Erie County urged residents to continue following the travel ban in Buffalo and to stay off the roads. As of Tuesday evening, Taylor’s family in Charlotte had not yet been informed of the official cause of Taylor’s death, according to Brown.

Taylor would have turned 23 next month, Brown said. 

Her family established a GoFundMe campaign to cover funeral expenses.

Leave a Reply